Saturday, December 5, 2009

Moss Installation Problem - Central Administrator Content DB is deleted

Installation Problem – There is one problem which can be faced during installation, so want to share with all of you.

Problem what can be faced - >


I was facing some issues in previous Moss 2007 installation so decided to reinstall it. So first I uninstalled it from control panel -> add\remove programs and then installed it again.

After that I logged in SQL Server 2005 to see all the databases are proper. I found the previous installed Moss 2007 web applications content db were not deleted so I manually deleted it. By mistakenly I deleted the newly installed central admin "Admin Database" (Content database for Central Administrator).
Big time screwed. Central administrator site was not browsable.

Solution which was tried but did not work->

• I tried to uninstall the SharePoint from control panel again -> so I can reinstall it properly but I found that it was unable to uninstall. Automatically, the wizard was disappearing.

• I tried to run the psconfigui.exe present at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\BIN. From this wizard -> I tried to detach the SQL but no use then tried to run on the same installation without detaching. This was also a problem. Entries were logged in log file.

• I tried to run the setup again forcefully. I got remove and repair option. First tried with Remove, not worked. Then tried to repair, it has been done successfully but central admin database was not recovered.

• I tried to take back up of another installed central admin site and try to restore in new web application. Not succeeded.

• Tried to take SQL backup of another installed Central admin and resorted in SQL with the same name of previous Admin database. Then tried to attach it. Error what I faced is "Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object."

Finally the solution worked – Simple Solution 


• Services.msc – Stopped Sql service.

• All Programs -> Microsoft Office Server-> SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard. Run it. Select the options -> detach and click ok.

• Start the SQL Service.

• Rename the previous Central Admin site in IIS because newly created site will be named as SharePoint Central Administration v3

• Rename the previous SharePoint_Config data base to SharePoint_Config_old.

• Run the wizard again.

• It will work.

No comments:

Post a Comment